Followers

Friday, February 5, 2010

Dear Grampa

It was a Friday and it was not that hot in the month of February. Things were in their usual slow pace as I got down from the cab and looked out and saw that wonderful smile. We have been friends for so long that I have come to a point where I have memorized your every mood, expression even the creases in your face when you smile.
When I was at an arms length you reached out and gave me one of you famous great big bear hug. Just like our favorite restaurant, you always know how I like it, cozy and warm. It felt so nice to stay in your arms, even just for a while.
Then it was time to let go and as you always do, you kiss me in the temple then ruffle my hair, your very own version of telling me that you missed me. It felt wonderful to be here with you again, to be able to spend a day with you. A day where I could talk all I want and not get interrupted, where in I know I would be heard, a day where I can be myself and not pretend to be somebody for I am with you, my very own Grampa.
You led me to a bench and just then I realized you brought lunch for the two of us. It has been so long since we both have been in this little park. Our very own haven from a world of noise and hurts. It never fails to make me smile when I remember how we used to call this place; “My Grampa’s Place”. I used to pretend that you had this made just for me, your baby.
You may be wondering why I am writing all of this Gramps, but I wanted to tell you that even if it was the last time that you would be able to take me out, the last time for you to be with me on our famous “Grampa’s Place”, it would be the best and I will always think of it for it is the best date any girl could ever have. Being with someone who knows how to love, cherish and care for a scared little girl and help turn her into a woman, a woman of worth.
As you lie there in your bed, don’t let the sickness get you down and please know that you are the most wonderful Man/Friend/Grampa God has ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment